An Attitude of Gratitude

This challenge blog will remain available indefinitely. The linky tool is now closed and the comments box removed. However if you wish to share your work the Facebook group is still open. There is a link on each blog post to the step by step journal pages on my personal blog.

Thursday 11 October 2012

Thankful Thursday: Art Journals

Make your own art journal


There are lots of ways of making an art journal.  You only have to search online to find the different ways that people use.

I'm going to share a few ways that I've used.

Here's Teesha Moore's Amazing 16 Page Journal Part 1 of 2

Teesha Moore's Amazing 16 Page Journal Part 2 of 2

I bought a sheet of watercolour paper from Hobby craft and following the instructions I made this:


 I also made a much smaller version which is 13cm tall and 10cm wide.  Each sheet of paper was 13cm tall and 30cm wide and folded in a variety of ways.  I also added little bits of extra book paper in some of the signatures.

Each set of three sheets were sewn together to make a signature and then I threaded through the threads on the outside to bind the book together.
I recommend with this style of journal that you paint the paper randomly before you cut it up to assemble.  You can decorate it and journal on it when you have put it together.


This next art journal was made by deciding what size I wanted the page to be.  In this case 26cm wide and 21cm tall.  Then I added a further 4cm to the lefthandside and scored down the page at the 4cm mark.  Each page was worked on separately and at the end the cover was made and bound so that book opens at the scored mark.

If you want to use individual pieces of paper you can and if you have access to a Bind-It-All use that to bind the pages together.  Or punch holes and use book rings.

Lastly you could use a standard spiral bound sketchbook and take the pages out.  Carefully cut between the double rings so that you can detach the page and put it back. 

I hope you have found it useful to look at the different types of journal.  Why not share in the comments below what you have decided to do for your journal.


If you have time this video walks you through a finished version of the Teesha Moore journal.

Thanks for dropping by.
Bernice